LAPD Chief Expects More High Profile Sexual Assault Cases... Nov 26, 2017 15:11:39 GMT
Post by MsMovieStar on Nov 26, 2017 15:11:39 GMT
Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck said that he expects more high profile sexual misconduct cases to come to light “in the coming weeks and months,” according to the Los Angeles Times.
“We anticipate the LAPD and other jurisdictions will receive even more high profile sex crime reports in the coming weeks and months,” Beck said in an email to the L.A. Times. “We encourage all victims of sexual assault to come forward to report these crimes.”
According to the L.A. Times, the LAPD has 28 open investigations related to media figures, including Harvey Weinstein and Ed Westwick, who has been accused by multiple women of sexual assault and rape.
Weinstein is under investigation by police in New York, Los Angeles, Beverly Hills, and the U.K. for sexual assault accusations made against him. He has denied claims of non-consensual sex.
Westwick has denied both of the rape accusations made against him.
The L.A. Times also reported that the LAPD has established five teams of detectives who are exclusively investigating allegations of sexual misconduct in Hollywood.
“We recognize the significant trauma these victims suffer at the hands of the predators who commit these heinous crimes,” Beck added in the email. “Our detectives are coordinating closely with our local prosecutors and other police agencies including the NYPD. The high profile nature of these particular cases has not changed our unyielding commitment to seek justice for ALL victims of sexual assault.”
While not all of the investigations will end in a conviction — earlier in November, the LAPD announced it had dropped its investigation into sexual assault allegations filed by Corey Feldman because the statute of limitations had expired — the LAPD is committed to investigating all the allegations they are presented with, Beck said.
Oh honey, I hope no one recognizes me now...