I know, I know you haven't seen everything either and technically some of these could have been seen in 2020 (those with an *) .........or even in 1975 (um) but at some point we need to do this since I need lists of what I didn't see that might actually be good - alright?
1. History of the Occult (Argentina) * 2. Censor 3. The Power of the Dog
4. West Side Story 5. Red Rocket 6. Apples (Greece) *
Also enjoyed parts of these a good bit with some reservations..........in no particular order:
Nightmare Alley (best ending) C'Mon, C'Mon (biggest surprise) The Tragedy of Macbeth (best intro)
The Amusement Park (1975) (best discovery) House of Gucci (most entertaining) Licorice Pizza (best pizza without pizza)
Post by Film Socialism on Jan 17, 2022 7:11:25 GMT
1. the snyder cut 2. can't get you out of my head 3. what do we see when we look at the sky 4. the matrix resurrections 5. cry macho 6. zeros and ones 7. france 8. just beyond the trees 9. old 10. we're all going to the world's fair
i actually like all of these a lot, pretty rare for that to happen in january of the following year
Post by themoviesinner on Jan 17, 2022 10:21:39 GMT
2021 was a pretty good year for cinema. Even though I haven't seen anything yet that I'd call a masterpiece, there were a lot of very good, even great films:
1. Rurouni Kenshin: The Beginning 2. Cliff Walkers 3. The Last Duel 4. Zeros And Ones 5. The Mad Women’s Ball 6. The Green Knight 7. One Shot 8. A Writer’s Odyssey 9. Boiling Point 10. The Power Of The Dog
HMs: The Worst Person In The World, Raging Fire, The Voyeurs, Mayday, France
01. Dune: Part One 02. The Tragedy of Macbeth 03. The Beatles: Get Back 04. The Power of the Dog 05. Spencer 06. Titane 07. The Suicide Squad 08. Licorice Pizza 09. Bo Burnham: Inside 10. The Green Knight
HM: Annette, The Last Duel, Pig, Mass, Petite Maman
Still need to see: Drive My Car, Parallel Mothers, West Side Story, Belfast, Coda, The Worst Person in the World, and others
1. Licorice Pizza 2. The Last Duel 3. House of Gucci 4. The Hand of God 5. Encanto 6. King Richard 7. Spencer 8. The Power of the Dog 9. Belfast 10. Shang-Chi
Nightmare Alley is the one thing I haven't seen that I expect to break into the list. Licorice Pizza is the only classic here, have significant reservations about almost all of the other ones. Not a great year, although there were at least ten things that I found decent enough to put in a top ten, which is better than a lot of years since the mid 2010's.
Still missing a thing or two ... Memoria most notably, which I am still naively waiting to see in a theater ... and maybe a few other things I'm less excited for that I still might check out down the line.
For now, I feel good with my recent catch-up. Though this is only roughly ranked after #1.
1. Annette 2. West Side Story 3. Drive My Car 4. Licorice Pizza 5. What Do We See When We Look at the Sky? 6. The Power of the Dog 7. The Matrix Resurrections 8. Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy 9. Dune 10. Benedetta
Petite Maman, The Last Duel up next - then Red Rocket, Old, Bad Luck Banging.
Post by RiverleavesElmius on Mar 9, 2022 17:02:54 GMT
THE TOP 10 FILMS OF 2021:
1. Licorice Pizza 2. The Worst Person in the World 3. The Hand of God 4. Bo Burnham: Inside 5. Dune 6. Drive My Car 7. Summer of Soul (...Or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised) 8. Nightmare Alley 9. Petite Maman 10. Titane
RUNNER-UPS (i.e. #11 to #20):
11. C'mon C'mon 12. The Green Knight 13. Spider-Man: No Way Home 14. The Last Duel 15. Encanto 16. Last Night in Soho 17. The Mitchells vs. The Machines 18. tick, tick...BOOM! 19. Kid 90 20. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
C'mon C'mon (Mike Mills) Drive My Car (Ryusuke Hamaguchi) Dune (Denis Villeneuve) The Green Knight (David Lowery) Luca (Enrico Casarosa) Mass (Fran Kranz) Petite Maman (Céline Sciamma) The Power of the Dog (Jane Campion) Spencer (Pablo Larraín) West Side Story (Steven Spielberg)
Post by Tommen_Saperstein on Mar 9, 2022 18:40:45 GMT
wonderful year! my top dozen
Power of the Dog (Campion) Belfast (Branagh) Billie Eilish: The World's a Little Blurry (Cutler) Dune (Villneuve) The Green Knight (Lowery) The Harder They Fall (Samuel) Mass (Kranz) Petite Maman (Sciamma) Red Rocket (Baker) Spencer (Larraín) Titane (Ducournau) West Side Story (Spielberg)
1. West Side Story 2. Licorice Pizza 3. Drive My Car 4. The Power of the Dog 5. The Mitchells vs the Machines 6. The Worst Person in the World 7. Dune 8. Spider-Man: No Way Home 9. In the Heights 10. Summer of Soul
HM’s: Encanto, A Hero, Bo Burnham:Inside, Pig, Spencer
they all wanna be u mmmmmmmmyeah - chunky_lover_68
Post by The_Cake_of_Roth on Aug 20, 2022 3:06:33 GMT
I used to be able to finalize my top 10 by spring, but I guess it’s late summer now. I had a list of 2021 stuff left to watch that I basically forgot about, but it seems doubtful most of them would break into my current top 10 anyway, so fuck it.
1. West Side Story 2. Dune 3. The Power of the Dog 4. The Matrix Resurrections 5. Benedetta 6. The Last Duel 7. Pig 8. The Worst Person in the World 9. Judas and the Black Messiah 10. Licorice Pizza