turning what was Rick's sacrifice into an elaborate ploy to destroy the government
, and I can see their point though I think it will ultimately hinge on how they follow this up given that we can never be too sure of Rick's motivations.
I believe that the emotional element is still very much a part of Rick's motivations (remember, he was devastated at the loss of his closest friend), and there have been moments here and there throughout the series that point to Rick actually caring about his family in ways that don't evolve power-plays (i.e. crying at the memory of Morty as a baby in Season 1). I don't think they would simply sweep it aside and just have a merciless douche with nothing below the surface.
I've found season three hit or miss so far (though an "okay" episode of Rick and Morty is still enjoyable) -- but wow, the most recent episode was fantastic.
Yeah, I've been liking this season, but I wasn't too fond of "Rickmancing The Stone" (the Mad Max one) and I pretty much hate the Vindicators episode, BUT the last four episodes, and even Pickle Rick, have all been great. And they got some pretty good guest voice actors this season too. Loved Danny Trejo in Pickle Rick.
the whole series. I thought too many of the episodes were bogged down in plot with character explorations that said what all but the worst fans of this show (y'know, the type that talk on the internet about how much of a Rick they are) already knew. Now, Harmon, Roiland, and the team can get back to making the most out of one-off adventures and trickle in the nice bits of continuity and callbacks when applicable instead of having to give us updates every episode on a storyline that fell in motion because they wrote themselves into a corner two years ago.
Anyway, rankings for each episode this season:
1. "The Ricklantis Mixup"/"Tales from the Citadel" - This is what I'm talking about: a perfectly self-contained episode where Roiland and the writers were free to do whatever they wanted with the premise at hand.
2. "Rest and Ricklaxation" 3. "Morty's Mind Blowers" 4. "The Rickshank Redemption" 5/6. "The Whirly Dirly Conspiracy" 5/6. "The Rickchurian Mortydate"
7. "Rickmancing the Stone" 8. "The ABC's of Beth" 9. "Vindicators 3: The Return of Worldender"
10. "Pickle Rick" - My least favorite episode of the series thus far, which sucks given how much I liked the premise. Rick on his own is nothing more than a perpetual trump card with no stakes, and the B plot revolves around the other family characters being told their flaws verbally.
I don't quite know what to think about the finale just yet. I'll also be annoyed if we really gotta wait ANOTHER two years for season 4. The season was kind of hit-or-miss but I still think it gave me mostly what I wanted. My rankings:
1. The Ricklantis Mixup - Loved what they did with this one. Loved that Roiland was able to do multiple variations of the same two characters. And I love what they are implying to set up for later on. 2. The Rickshank Redemption 3. Rest and Ricklaxation 4. The Whirly Dirly Conspiracy 5. Pickle Rick 6. The Rickchurian Mortydate 7. The ABC's of Beth 8. Morty's Mind Blowers 9. Rickmancing The Stone 10. Vindicators 3: Return of Worldender - This one would be my least favorite episode of the series so far. Jokes fell flat, didn't like how everyone does Morty dirty in this episode, or that Supernova got away (then again, with this show, it wouldn't be surprising if she returned), and also the Logic cameo...blech.
Very strong ending to a very strong (though not quite as great as Season 2) run of episodes. I really didn't like "Pickle Rick," though, for much of the same issues as Mike (although its memetic status certainly doesn't help). Tiny Rick is much better than Pickle Rick could ever hope to be, motherfuckers.
1. "The Ricklantis Mixup" 2. "Morty's Mind Blowers" (so much better than the Interdimensional Cable episodes) 3. "Rest and Ricklaxation" 4. "The Rickshank Redemption" 5. "The Whirly Dirly Conspiracy" 6. "RIckmancing the Stone" 7. "Vindicators 3: The Return of Worldender" 8. "The Rickchurian Candidate" (may climb higher on rewatch) 9. "The ABCs of Beth" 10. "Pickle Rick"