'90s album poll ain't open yet, but let's get into the mood in advance. And let's try to post some actual lists before clogging this thread with nothing but youtube links.....
1. Range Life | Pavement 2. The Happening | Pixies 3. Gun | Uncle Tupelo 4. Fade Into You | Mazzy Star 5. First Glimmer | Paul Westerberg 6. Nobody | The Replacements 7. Passenger Side | Wilco 8. Joey | Concrete Blonde 9. Thru and Thru | The Rolling Stones 10. El Scorcho | Weezer 11. That Summer Feeling | Jonathan Richman 12. Mr. Bad Example | Warren Zevon 13. I Left My Wallet in El Segundo | A Tribe Called Quest 14. Don't Look Back in Anger | Oasis 15. Under the Bridge | Red Hot Chili Peppers 16. Harvest Moon | Neil Young 17. Big Soft Punch | The Clean 18. C.R.E.A.M. | Wu-Tang Clan 19. Everlong | Foo Fighters 20. Sugarcube | Yo La Tengo
gotta be forgetting some obvious ones... but I'm satisfied with that top 20 for now...
1. #41 - Dave Matthews Band 2. Mind Playing Tricks on Me - Geto Boys 3. Eulogy - Tool 4. Resurrection - The Misfits 5. King's Highway - Tom Petty 6. Mr. Jones - Counting Crows 7. Oh Comely - Neutral Milk Hotel 8. That Summer Feeling - Jonathan Richman 9. Dead Wrong - Notorious BIG 10. Stagger Lee - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds 11. Good - Morphine 12. Semi-Charmed Life - Third Eye Blind 13. Don't Look Back in Anger - Oasis ' 14. Get Me Away from Here, I'm Dying - Belle and Sebastian 15. Tearz - Wu-Tang Clan 16. Range Life - Pavement 17. Fin de siècle - Black Tape for a Blue Girl 18. Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Machine 19. 1-800 Suicide - Gravediggaz 20. The Rhythm of the Saints - Paul Simon
One per artist obviously... probably forgetting a ton but I'll rattle off some...
1. "Paranoid Android" | Radiohead (not even my favorite OKC track most days, but putting anything else at #1 just feels wrong) 2. "Where the Wild Roses Grows" | Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds (Alt. pick: "Into My Arms") 3. "Waltz #2" | Elliott Smith 4. "Hurt" | Nine Inch Nails 5. "Roads" | Portishead 6. "Sometimes" | My Bloody Valentine 7. "Fade Into You" | Mazzy Star 8. "Common People" | Pulp 9. "Alison" | Slowdive 10. "Lover, You Should've Come Over" | Jeff Buckley 11. "Chemical World" | Blur 12. "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" | Neutral Milk Hotel 13. "Mistakes" | Tindersticks 14. "Undone -- The Sweater Song" | Weezer 15. "Possibly Maybe" | Björk 16. "Down By The Water" | PJ Harvey 17. "1979" | The Smashing Pumpkins 18. "Unfinished Sympathy" | Massive Attack 19. "Cut Your Hair" | Pavement 20. "Redundant" | Green Day
Last Edit: Jul 30, 2019 19:31:09 GMT by DeepArcher
Can't really think of a full list rn so after the Top 6 I'm just gonna scroll through my spotify playlist and list the first 14 songs I really really like.
1. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana 2. Black - Pearl Jam 3. Black Hole Sun - Soundgarden 4. Rooster - Alice in Chains 5. Bulls on Parade - Rage Against the Machine 6. Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers Enter Sandman - Metallica Painkiller - Judas Priest November Rain - Guns N' Roses Cowboys from Hell - Pantera Got the Time - Anthrax Hunger Strike - Temple of the Dog Basket Case - Green Day Self Esteem - The Offspring High Hopes - Pink Floyd Roots Radical - Rancid Champagne Supernova - Oasis Bullet With Butterfly Wings - Smashing Pumpkins Closer - Nine Inch Nails Midlife Crisis - Faith No More
Bitter Sweet Symphony, The Verve Common People, Pulp Live Forever, Oasis Karma Police, Radiohead Being Boring, Pet Shop Boys Da Funk, Daft Punk Matador, Los Fabulosos Cadillacs Life's a Bitch, Nas Midnight in a Perfect World, DJ Shadow Kumbala, La Maldita Vecindad
Intergallactic, Beastie Boys Doo Wop, Lauryn Hill Vogue, Madonna No Scrubs, TLC I Wear Your Ring, Cocteu Twins Musica Ligera, Soda Stereo The Private Psychedelic Reel, The Chemical Brothers The Rockafeller Stank, Fatboy Slim Rosa Parks, Outkast Heart Shaped Box, Nirvana
Turned out more ecelctic than I thought but whatever...
Post by themoviesinner on Jul 16, 2019 10:28:07 GMT
Probably the best decade for music for me, although I consider the first decade of the 21st century just as good. So many great songs to list:
1. "The Rotting Horse On The Deadly Ground" by Summoning 2. "One Rode To Asa Bay" by Bathory 3. "Treasure Island" by Running Wild 4. "Angellore" by Tristania 5. "Non Serviam" by Rotting Christ 6. "Gaia" by Tiamat 7. "Purify" by Neurosis 8. "Kathaarian Life Code" by Darkthrone 9. "The Ubiquitous Mr. Lovegrove" by Dead Can Dance 10. "Lionheart" by Grave Digger 11. "Mother North" by Satyricon 12. "Raistlin And The Rose" by Lake Of Tears 13. "My Kantele" by Amorphis 14. "Wolfshade" by Moonspell 15. "The Dragons' Flight Across The Waves" by Amon Amarth 16. "Night's Blood" by Dissection 17. "Kong Hydnes Haug" by Windir 18. "Olsen Olsen" by Sigur Ros 19. "Capitel V: Bergtatt - Ind I Fjeldkamrene" by Ulver 20. "Journey Through The Dark" by Blind Guardian
And 10 great hip-hop songs of the 90s:
1. "The Ghetto" by Too Short 2. "Illusions" by Cypress Hill 3. "My Mind Playing Tricks On Me" by Geto Boys 4. "1-800 Suicide" by Grave Diggaz 5. "It Was A Good Day" by Ice Cube 6. "Code Of The Streets" by Gang Starr 7. "Latyrx" by Latyrx 8. "What They Do" by The Roots 9. "Manic Depressive" by Insane Poetry 10. "N.Y. State Of Mind" by Nas
Names have power in identity. Others can use names as weapons. Names are a hook that can be used to track you across the planes. Remain nameless, and you shall be safe.
Post by Johnny_Hellzapoppin on Jul 16, 2019 12:48:08 GMT
No way I could only do 20 songs, much less rank them. This is the decade I spent most of my teen years in, and formed most of my musical opinions / tastes. It'll always be the only decade for which I feel I have any authority to speak about music.
So I've tried my best to keep it short, and at a certain point I just had to stop adding songs, and break it down some way. I know I have not included dozens and dozens of songs I could have. I also cut it to no more than one song per artist.
Male Solo Artists
"(Everything I Do) I Do It for You", Bryan Adams "If I Ruled the World (Imagine That)", Nas featuring Lauryn Hill
"Little Wonder", David Bowie
"Loser", Beck "Mo Money Mo Problems", Notorious B.I.G. featuring Mase and Puff Daddy
"Stagger Lee", Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Female Solo Artists
"Criminal", Fiona Apple "Doo Wop (That Thing)", Lauryn Hill "Frozen", Madonna "If It Makes You Happy", Sheryl Crow "Nothing Compares 2 U", Sinéad O'Connor "Play Dead", Bjork "She's a Bitch", Missy Elliott "You Oughta Know", Alanis Morissette
Dance Acts / Duos etc.
"Hey Boy Hey Girl", The Chemical Brothers "No Limit", 2 Unlimited "Sexy Boy", Air "Swamp Thing", The Grid "The Rockafeller Skank", Fatboy Slim
Bands / Groups
"A Life Less Ordinary", Ash "Alright", Supergrass "Beetlebum", Blur "Champagne Supernova", Oasis "Closer", Nine Inch Nails "Common People", Pulp "Dreams", The Cranberries "Drinking in L.A.", Bran Van 3000
"Enter Sandman", Metallica
"Fu-Gee-La", The Fugees "I Am One", The Smashing Pumpkins "Lithium", Nirvana
"Paranoid Android", Radiohead "Push It", Garbage "The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite", R.E.M. "The Time in Now", Moloko "TLC", Waterfalls "Try A Little Tenderness", The Commitments
"Violet", Hole "Warped", Red Hot Chili Peppers "Where's Me Jumper", Sultans of Ping F.C.
seconding these-- The La’s - There She Goes Warren Zevon - Mr Bad Example GBV - I Am a Scientist
some alts for these mentioned artists-- Bob Dylan - Not Dark Yet Jonathan Richman - Velvet Underground Oasis - Married with Children Pavement - Shoot the Singer Paul Westerberg - It’s a Wonderful Lie The Replacements - Attitude
one more cus I've been listening to it a lot recently-- The Smugglers - Flyin' Buttress of Love
1. No Surprises by Radiohead 2. Just by Radiohead 3. Beetlebum by Blur 4. Tender by Blur 5. Tonight We Fly by The Divine Comedy 6. El Scorcho by Weezer 7. Boss DJ by Sublime 8. Help the Aged by Pulp 9. Say it Ain't So by Weezer 10.Elysium by Portishead 11.Mysterious Ways by U2 12.Loser by Beck 13.All Mine by Portishead 14.To Bring You My Love by PJ Harvey 15.Where it's At by Beck 16.Tonight Tonight by Smashing Pumpkins 17.You've Lost Me There by Cardinal 18.Santeria by Sublime 19.Cut Your Hair by Pavement 20.Bachelorette by Bjork
1. Long Season (live) - Fishmans 2. Ocean Man - Ween 3. Midnight In A Perfect World - DJ Shadow 4. Windowlicker - Aphex Twin 5. 1979 - Smashing Pumpkins 6. Nosferatu Man - Slint 7. When You Sleep - My Bloody Valentine 8. Risingson - Massive Attack 9. Bullet In The Head - Rage Against The Machine 10. Paranoid Android - Radiohead 11. Gold Soundz - Pavement 12. Ladies And Gentlemen We're Floating In Space - Spiritualized 13. Roygbiv - Boards Of Canada 14. Lay Me Low - Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds 15. Freak On A Leash - Korn 16. In Bloom - Nirvana 17. Somewhat Damaged - Nine Inch Nails 18. Never Meant - American Football 19. Protect Ya Neck - Wu Tang Clan 20. Buddy Holly - Weezer
Limited it to one per artist otherwise it would have just been full of Aphex Twin. Scenario by Tribe Called Quest just missed the list
1: Diamond Bullet by Skullflower 2: After the Flood by Talk Talk 3: Phylyps Trak 1 by Basic Channel 4: Tree of Life and Death by diSEMBOWELMENT 5: Black Arts by Beherit 6: Dunkelheit by Burzum 7: Only Shallows by My Bloody Valentine 8: Wing Walker by Shellac 9: Chicago Balloon Riders by Ramleh 10: Secret Liaisons by Source Direct 11: Hung Bunny by The Melvins 12: Ouroboros is Broken by Earth 13: La Stazione by Herbert Distel 14: Xtal by Aphex Twin 15: Newfoundland by AMM 16: The Planet That Once Used to Absorb Flesh in Order to Achieve Divinity and Immortality (Suffocated to the Flesh That It Desired...) by Demilich 17: Kyema by Eliane Radigue 18: Banteay Srey by Carl Stone 19: The Call of the Wintermoon by Immortal 20: Scum by Bark Psychosis
This is not a perennial list; it could change from day to day based on how I'm feeling.
Post by eyebrowmorroco on Jul 28, 2019 17:53:26 GMT
The Fall - Immortality *peel session* -- contained within the 1992 peel session (on yt), not the uploaded song purporting to be from said session. PJ Harvey - Claudine, the Inflatable One Red House Painters - Katy Song The Magnetic Fields - Dancing in Your Eyes The Pogues - My Baby's Gone Gillian Welch - Tear My Stillhouse Down Los Lobos - I Can't Understand Royal Trux - Banana Question Nick Cave - Lament Swans - Failure
Dog Faced Hermans - Jan 9 Luxuria - Smoking Mirror Black Tambourine - Black Car Tindersticks - Whiskey and Water Cocteau Twins - Fifty-Fifty Clown Depeche Mode - It's No Good The Comsat Angels - Psychedelic Dungeon Tom Waits - What's He Building? Sonic Youth - 100% Low - Drag
Unranked apart from the first three, one song per artist.
1. Sometimes - My Bloody Valentine 2. Street Spirit (Fade Out) - Radiohead 3. Black - Pearl Jam So Tired - Slowdive Nothing Else Matters - Metallica Afraid To Shoot Strangers - Iron Maiden Cherry-coloured Funk - Cocteau Twins Bombtrack - Rage Against the Machine Numb - Portishead Coming Back to Life - Pink Floyd Dissolved Girl - Massive Attack N.Y State of Mind - Nas She Painted Fire Across the Skyline - Agalloch Home - Dream Theater Whitewater - Kyuss The Drugs Don't Work - The Verve Stinkfist - Tool Bring Da Ruckus - Wu-Tang Clan Fade Into You - Mazzy Star Falling - Julee Cruise